Why become a mentor?
People often say that they become mentors to give something back or make a contribution. We all have our own reason for wanting to become a mentor. But one of the main reasons to be a NATSIHEC mentor is to work with other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in the academy.
A mentoring relationship enables you to:
- Strengthen the lessons you’ve already learned
- Develop new strengths
- Build a stronger Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cohort
- See future leaders on their journey
- Empower someone else to see their own strengths
- Practise offering positive and constructive feedback
- Increase your personal and professional networks
- Generate workable solutions together in a mutually respectful way
- Motivate, advise and support whilst empowering someone to make their own decisions